[Samba] Problem with permissions

Keith Sudbury keith-lists at netzensolutions.com
Sun Aug 10 18:28:48 GMT 2008

Bikrish Amatya wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I have to task where i have to replace windows NT server by samba. The
> problem i facing is with permissions. In windows NT , administrator
> can provide a share permissision like , full control, read & write but
> no delete and read. But  i have provide same functionality in samba
> server. How can i set such permission , write but no delete in linux
> through samba. I have googled a lot but couldn't  find the solution.
>
> Any help would be apperciated.
>
> Thanks
Hi Bikrish,

If you setup ACL, you can actually set up permissions using the security
tab in windows explorer from another windows box, you you can use the
cmd line. You might have to remount your FS with acl enabled, what
distro are you using?

Check out http://www.bluelightning.org/linux/samba_acl_howto/  or google
some other guides.

I am setting this up atm so let me know if you get the Explorer thing to
work!

Keith