[Samba] strange restarting of samba server

Klemens Lichter csl at lichter.de
Sat Aug 9 21:30:25 GMT 2008

Hi,

I was asked to help a non profit organisation with a samba problem. The have the server with linux 10.3 running since autumn 2007. now since about 3 or 4 weeks the client workstations get connection errors several times a day.
When I check the samba log files I find that the following message is there very often:

[2008/08/06 13:42:29, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
  smbd version 3.0.26a-3-1478-SUSE-SL10.3 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007

This message seems to me as like Smbd is restarting everytime this message appears. Is that right?

Mostly this message appears in intervalls of one hour (sometimes some seconds or some minutes more than one hour), after this message I can see following messages showing client workstations reconnecting. The linux box is running 24 hours a day and during night time I see only the above message appear every hour and no clients reconnecting because clients are switched off.

So what this can be? Normally samba restarts automatically when linux restarts. I´m shure that the linux box does not restart every hour. Where can I find more information to find out what happens here? maybee some other log files.

Thanks for every help.

Klemens