[Samba] Winbind IDMAP question.

Chavez, James R. james.chavez at sanmina-sci.com
Sat Aug 9 20:56:36 GMT 2008

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply.
I am using pam_winbind with my Active Directory or Kerberos credentials
to login.
I have an existing UNIX (NIS) infrastructure. We are being forced to
join our Linux boxes to AD.
This creates a problem with unix permissions when logging into the
machines with AD credemtials since the UID is dynamically assigned from
Winbind and not valid against existing Unix permissions.

example joe_montana at REALM which translates to DOMAIN\joe_montana. The
desired UNIX user id is jmontana.

The username map does not work in the case of logging into the box, but
does work correctly when accessing shares on the box. I am sure this is
the expected behavior of the username map. I have always used the
username map for accessing shares and not logging in.

What I want to know is in the case of logging into the box via ssh or
telnet or locally, can I control the Unix UID that Winbind assigns? Can
Winbind be configured to map my DOMAIN\jmontana AD credentials to a
local UNIX or NIS user jmontana instead of the dynamic UID? This would
alleviate the issue with permissions when logged into the box. My
reading led me to believe that using idmap_ldap made this possible but I
am unsure. Please point me in the right direction. Again I appreciate
the reply.

Thank You
James