[Samba] smbclient failed --> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

André Welter welter at bitbone.de
Thu Aug 7 08:46:33 GMT 2008

Hi Andy,

Andy Smb schrieb:
> I make all steps in the guide:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html#id2546028
>
> but command (exetuded in the same computer where is samba):
> smbclient //fc9/tester -Utester%test

Seems like you are trying to access the home share of the user tester.
> gives error:
> Domain=[DZTI] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

This indicates that the share you are trying to access does not exist.
> The user tester have been created by commands:
> useradd tester
> smbpasswd -a tester
>
> I've followes some steps from the guide:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html
>
> 1 ---------------------------
> [root at fc9 ~]# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[share1]"
> Processing section "[share2]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = WKG
>         netbios name = DZTI
>         hosts allow = ALL
>
> [share1]
>         path = /tmp
>
> [share2]
>         comment = Some random files
>         path = /my_shared_folder

Your smb.conf is missing a [homes] section for this to work.
See
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html#simple-example

Regards,

André