[Samba] Samba 3.2.0 in Debian "lenny"

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Aug 6 12:12:36 GMT 2008

Quoting Charles Marcus (CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com):

>> Is that right? Does that mean that if something is completely broken, it
>> will stay that way for the life of the Debian release?
>
> This is actually one of the reasons I don't use Debian...

Just out of curiosity, and mostly because I *really* don't know about
other "vendors" policy wrt update to their stable releases, in what do
other distros fit your need of (I guess) the very last version of
everything with the quite common expectations of stability, security and
data integrity?

So far, my (probably limited) understanding of many distros (and
commercial Unix vendors) is that they ship their releases with a given
version of each software and they do support it during the entire
lifecycle of their product..... Do some of them really succeed in
keeping up with bleeding edge versions of all software they provide as
part of their products?

It would be interesting to know this and also know *how* such miracles
can happen so that the (unpaid) people who assemble Debian from about
10,000 different software can learn from these processes and try to
improve theirs.