[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.1 Available for Download.eml

James Kosin JKosin at intcomgrp.com
Wed Aug 6 17:18:25 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald (Jerry) Carter [mailto:jerry at samba.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:51 PM
To: obox at samba.org
Cc: James Kosin; samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.1 Available for Download.eml

James Kosin wrote:

> This is correct.  "make install" does not work and forgets to create
the
> symbolic links to the libraries.  As a result, samba may not start
> correctly and generate errors when loading.  Packagers have been able
> get around this; but, users installing from source will have a
difficult
> time or need to create the symbolic links themselves.
> The effected files on my build are libnetapi.so.0, libtalloc.so.1,
> libtdb.so.1 and libwbclient.so.0.  But this depends on the build as
> there are other libraries that also need symbolic links added, if
built.

Michael,

technically the correct thing to do is to install as libXX.so.1 and then
have the .so symlink point to the sonamed library.  This allows more
than one soname lib to exist at the same time (if necessary).  The .so
file is only used when linking.

For example:

	libtalloc.so.1
	libtalloc.so -> libtalloc.so.1

Not the other way around.  Do you agree?

cheers, jerry
- --
Yes, though this would mean you would have to be sure the executables
linked to libtalloc.so and not necessarily to libtalloc.so.1 like it
seems to now.
Some have even added a step further by providing a structure like this:
	libxyz.so.1.2.3
	libxyz.so.1 -> libxyz.so.1.2.3
	libxyz.so -> libxyz.so.1.2.3
So I guess it really depends on how deep we want to take this.

James