[Samba] Problem with pdbedit during add machine account

Michał Adamczyk vanditboy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 09:51:19 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have running LDAP + SAMBA as PDC on gentoo and I have problem with
adding machine account.

Whem I try add machine account with pdbedit -am 'hostname' I have this error:

smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=OFFICE.KENS.PL))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=OFFICE.KENS.PL))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
Cannot locate Unix account for hostname$

I added first machine account with smbldap-useradd -w 'localhost'
(host has been created in LDAP tree in right ou),

the /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like these:

passwd:     ldap
shadow:     ldap
group:      ldap

hosts:       files dns
networks:    files dns

services:    db files
protocols:   db files
rpc:         db files
ethers:      db files
netmasks:    files
netgroup:    files
bootparams:  files

automount:   files
aliases:     files

But sill the same error.

That error disappers after change /etc/nsswitch.conf to:

passwd:      compat
shadow:      compat
group:       compat

and run: adduser hostname$
and then: pdbedit -am 'hostname'

Also it works fine when I use: smbldap-useradd 'localhost$', but then
I have mixed Users and Computers, and I dont want this kind of mess.

My questions are: Why I must create Unix account for machine account
before pdbedit create it? Why pdbedit doesn't see Unix accounts for
computures in ou=Computers, only in ou=Users?

--
Best Regards,

Michał Adamczyk