[Samba] Samba & Vista [SOLVED]

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 5 23:59:08 GMT 2008

> >> I'm trying to use smbclient to look at a Vista box but I keep
> >> getting:
> >>
> >> # smbclient -L user-pc -U Kellie
> >> Password: <Kellie's password>
> >> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> >>
> >> I know the user/password combination is good.

Well, I don't understand this but I found a solution.

First let me explain that my Vista box is a single user laptop and when
it is powered up it shows a logon screen that already has the user's
name, "Kellie", displayed and it just asks for a password. When the
screensaver kicks in, the same logon screen appears.

So, I went into the Vista box and turned on logon auditing but in the
event log I couldn't find any references to user "Kellie". The
TargetDomainName was set to the name of the Vista box ie "User-PC" as I
expected but the TargetUserName was always set to "User". Initially, I
assumed that this was some system event related to the logon attempt.
Eventually, I decided to try to use smbclient as user "User" and using
user "Kellie"'s password... success!!!??!

Somewhere under the covers, Vista thinks that user "Kellie" is user
"User" even though Control Panel (Classic View)->User Accounts shows
only one user called Kellie.

Whatever...
Steve.