[ma@sernet.de: Re: [Samba] unable to build 3.2 on HP-UX]

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Mon Aug 4 20:54:07 GMT 2008

hmm, the mailing list engine seems to have eaten my
attachmen (and my signature....) trying again

----- Forwarded message from Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de> -----

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:43:55 +0200
From: Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
To: Dag Ager <dag.ager at enders-ing.de>
Subject: Re: [Samba] unable to build 3.2 on HP-UX

Hi,

this is a bug in Makefile.in: When not building
shared libs there are variables expanded as empty
by configure like @WINBIND_LIBS at . When these
stand in a line of their own (like in the bin/smbd
target just before the bin/nmbd target), this leads
to lines consisting only of tabs + maybe spaces.
This leads to the build errors you had.

This is all fixed in the v3-2-stable tree, and the
fix will be in 3.2.1 which is going to be released
tomorrow.

I attach a fixed Makefile.in if you would like to test
it immediately. You should only need to run
./config.status and then make.

Cheers - Michael

Dag Ager wrote:
> [...]
> checking for Active Directory and krb5 support... auto
> configure: WARNING: Disabling Active Directory support (requires LDAP
> support)
> checking for nscd_flush_cache in -lnscd... no
> checking whether to use shared libraries internally... false
> configure: WARNING: --enable-shared-libs: no support for shared libraries
> checking whether to build the libtalloc shared library... no shared
> library support -- will supply static library
>
> --> no more warnings and no errors at all during configure.
>
> compiler error:

> Compiling librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_libnet_join.c
> mkdir nsswitch/libwbclient
> Compiling nsswitch/libwbclient/wbclient.c
> Compiling nsswitch/libwbclient/wbc_util.c
> Compiling nsswitch/libwbclient/wbc_pwd.c
> Compiling nsswitch/libwbclient/wbc_idmap.c
> Compiling nsswitch/libwbclient/wbc_sid.c
> Compiling nsswitch/libwbclient/wbc_pam.c
> Compiling nsswitch/wb_common.c
> Linking non-shared library bin/libwbclient.a
> Compiling smbd/server.c
> ../source/smbd/server.c: In function 'main':
> ../source/smbd/server.c:1100: warning: passing argument 2 of
> 'set_auth_parameters' from incompatible pointer type
> Linking bin/smbd
> sh[7]: bin/nmbd::  not found.
> *** Error exit code 127
>
> Stop.
>
> --> as a test: created directory nmbd and restarted make:

> 11:02 da:en6[86]
> make
>
> /opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build
> Using FLAGS      =  -O -D_SAMBA_BUILD_=3
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/iniparser/src -Iinclude
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/include -I.
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/lib/replace
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/lib/talloc
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/lib/tdb/include
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/libaddns
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/librpc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -Iinclude -I../source/include -I. -I../source -I../source/lib/replace
> -I../source/lib/talloc -I../source/lib/tdb/include -I../source/libaddns
> -I../source/librpc -I../source/popt   -I/include
> -I/opt/build/samba-3.2.0/build/../source/lib -D_SAMBA_BUILD_=3
>      PICFLAG    = -fPIE
>      LIBS       = -lsec -lnsl -liconv
>      LDFLAGS    = -pie  -L./bin
>      DYNEXP     = -Wl,-E,+b/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib
>      LDSHFLAGS  = shared-libraries-disabled  -L./bin
>      SHLIBEXT   = shared_libraries_disabled
>      SONAMEFLAG = shared-libraries-disabled
> Linking non-shared library bin/libtalloc.a
> WARNING: you need to run ./config.status
> Linking non-shared library bin/libsmbclient.a
> Linking non-shared library bin/libsmbsharemodes.a
> Linking bin/smbd
> sh[7]: bin/nmbd::  not found.
> *** Error exit code 127
>

> --> not really better...
>
> Anyone an Idea? Are there any known Problem with the version of gcc I use?

Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE

----- End forwarded message -----