[Samba] Unstable printing w/3.2.0

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 19:08:37 GMT 2008

I've upgraded my print server to CentOS5 w/Samba 3.2.0.  While it
"works" we are experiencing numerous irritating issues.  I'm curious if
anyone else is experencing these issues.

1.) Print jobs do not clear out of the CIFS queue.  So we now have
printers that show they have over 1,000 jobs in the queue although the
queue is empty.   This is a bug scheduled to be fixed in 3.2.1 (I
believe) so at least I'm not crazy on this one.

2.) When attempting to upload some drivers the process fails with "This
driver is not compatible with Windows XP".  Although it is the latest
driver for HP's Laserjet 4200 series.  This occurs with both PCL and
Postscript drivers.

3.) After working perfectly for awhile a specific queue will stop
working and users will get an "Access Denied" messgaes while other
queues using the same driver will work perfectly.   Then switching the
driver on the server around will sometimes make it work.  Othertimes the
driver needs to be deleted, re-added, and reassigned to the printer to
make the "Access Denied" message disappear.

Does 3.2.0 make any changes to the TDB format?  If not, is it possible
to drop backwards to a stable version?

Printing via LPD or IPP directly to CUPS works flawlessly every time.

[root at crew ~]# rpm -q samba3
samba3-3.2.0-36
[root at crew ~]# uname -a
Linux crew.morrison.iserv.net 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25
13:49:24 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at crew ~]# rpm -q cups
cups-1.3.8-1