[Samba] wbinfo -u and -g work, getent passwd works, getent groupDOES NOT WORK (solution!)

Jeff LePage Jeff.LePage at asg.com
Sun Aug 3 21:07:19 GMT 2008

You may be right. I know too little about winbind to comment.  However, I note that the tutorials on creating a samba PDC (e.g., section 9.2 of Using Samba, 3rd edition) never mention winbind). However, tutorials on getting a linux client (a domain member server) to join a samba domain most definitely do.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Did you set it as master or preferred master in smb.conf".  Are you referring the the server (PDC) or the client (domain member server)?

The client is most definitely NOT set as a master or preferred master.

Here's what the official docs at samba.org suggest for the smb.conf for the PDC:

passdb backend = tdbsam
os level = 33
preferred master = auto
domain master = yes
local master = yes
security = user
domain logons = yes

So, yes.  I do have it (meaning the server) set as master.

We may be talking about different things here.  When i say i turn off winbind, I merely mean i removed the service.  On linux turning off winbindd is simply a matter of removing the service from /etc/init.d/ directory and running 'update-rc.d winbind remove'.

Finally:
So obviously I have some conflict between the server winbindd and the client winbindd.  If I leave winbind running on the PDC and also on the clients, then what is the magic that allows them not to conflict?