[Samba] Samba & Vista

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 2 01:47:31 GMT 2008

Miguel Da Silva - Centro de Matemática <mdasilva at fing.edu.uy> wrote:
>> The change I made in my vista boxes is:
>>
>> Start->Run->secpol.msc<ENTER>
>> Local Policies->Security Options
>>
>> set to:
>>
>> Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level->Send LM & NTLM -
>> use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
>> <OK>
>> File->Exit
>>
>> Mike
>
> If the problem is related to user authentication and the protocol used
> in client-server negotiation, maybe could be of some help use "max
> protocol = LANMAN2" or "max protocol = NTLM".
>
> And also try to use plain text passwords.

Tried all that too but it didn't help. The way I understand it
(which can be sum1med up as very poorly), if the registry key on the
Vista box
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA\LMCompatibilityLevel
is set to 3 and the smb.conf file has "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" then
everything should be OK.

I found this article:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc160954.aspx
that helped a little.

Are there any tests I can run that might help narrow it down to a
problem with the user, the password, the Vista box or the Linux box?

Steve