[Samba] Unable to modify TDB passwd ERROR

jason at jasonn.com jason at jasonn.com
Fri Aug 1 19:23:14 GMT 2008

I'm trying to track down why I can't seem to add a computer to the domain.
 I've looked high and low to no avail.  Right now, when I try to add the
computer as a "trusted machine," I've added it to the Unix passwd dB with
the appropriate machinename$ and the added the machine to the dmbpasswd
via:

smbpasswd -a -m machinename

But, when I go to add the machine to the domain, I get the error that this
computer has no account on the domain.  It then gives me the screen to key
in an administrator username and password (and the domain), and then I get
a "cant' find user or bad password," error from Windows.  I assume that
means I've not created a proper automated script, haven't properly
elevated the user to the "ADMINS GROUP" or perhaps it can't talk to the
SMB server properly.

Here's what it shows in the log created by that machine's attempt to log
onto the network:

less /var/log/samba/log.app160
[2008/08/01 14:12:09, 0] passdb/pdb_tdb.c:tdb_update_ridrec_only(1308)
  Unable to modify TDB passwd ! Error: Record does not exist
   occured while storing the RID index (RID_000001f4)
[2008/08/01 14:12:09, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:check_sam_security(316)
  Failed to modify entry.

Opinions welcome.

--

Jason N