[Samba] New samba feature or new FF feature?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 1 00:27:17 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 05:00:32PM -0700, Linda W wrote:
> I just saved some files to my smb server and ended up with a bunch of little
> 1k files with weird names (when viewed from windows)
> all "CAPLETTERS~X"
> 'cept capletters is 6 long... so all are 8 long...on the linux side, they
> are all the same as the file's I downloaded
> with ":Zone.Identifier" appended to the name.
>
> I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing these files pop up before as saved
> from Firefox, but it's possible I haven't saved to an smb share since FF
> went to 3.x.
> So I don't know if it is FF3, or a feature of samba.
>
> I know 'what' it is -- its the zone info that IE started saving on downloaded files
> and I guess FF copied it (maybe a new standard? )....  But it's really "ugly"
> when looking at the filenames from windows.
> Is there a way to hide them or turn them off? Or is there a way to have
> them use the linux file system's native extended attributute/
> alternate datastream functionality??  (like "XFS" has ability to save
> extended user-specified
> attributes)....

This is a bug in default 3.2 which I fixed recently. These
are Windows alternate data streams, and Samba 3.0.x refuses
to create them entirely. Samba 3.2 has a VFS module which
will store them in xattr's "streams_xattr", and one that
will store them in a db in the filesystem ("streams_depot")
so you can either enable them for the share, or wait for 3.2.1
(due August) which will filter them out if you don't explicitly
enable them.

Sorry for the problem.

Jeremy.