[Samba] New samba feature or new FF feature?

Linda W samba at tlinx.org
Fri Aug 1 00:00:32 GMT 2008

I just saved some files to my smb server and ended up with a bunch of little
1k files with weird names (when viewed from windows)
all "CAPLETTERS~X"
'cept capletters is 6 long... so all are 8 long...on the linux side, they
are all the same as the file's I downloaded
with ":Zone.Identifier" appended to the name.

I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing these files pop up before as saved
from Firefox, but it's possible I haven't saved to an smb share since FF went to
3.x.
So I don't know if it is FF3, or a feature of samba.

I know 'what' it is -- its the zone info that IE started saving on downloaded files
and I guess FF copied it (maybe a new standard? )....  But it's really "ugly"
when looking at the filenames from windows.
Is there a way to hide them or turn them off?
Or is there a way to have them use the linux file system's native extended
attributute/
alternate datastream functionality??  (like "XFS" has ability to save extended
user-specified
attributes)....

Thanks...much!
Linda