[Samba] XP share not listed in Linneighborhood

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 19:11:25 GMT 2008

Kai Blin wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2008 11:02:34 Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> I am unable to find my Windows XP share (winpro) in Linneighborhood
>> which runs on my desktop Kubuntu Linux box.
>>
>> When I try to mount that Windows XP share I get the error message:
>> 2139: session request to WINPRO failed (Not listening on called name)
>> 2139: session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening on called name)
>> SMB connection failed
>> smbmt: Error: winpro _not_ mounted.
>>
>> The command line I'm using to mount Winpro is:
>>     smbmount //winpro/lba  /mnt/winpro  -o guest,uid=lba
>>
>> This line _used_ to work before I had a malfuntion on the winpro box and
>> had to Repair XP.  Repair is similiar to a fresh install except many
>> (but not all) settings are kept.
>>
>> Both winpro and the Kubuntu box are on the same workgroup and subnet
>> with fixed IP.
>
> Can you try with mount.cifs just in case?
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

Hello Kai.

It appears that the Windows XP compuer winpro is not appearing in
Linneighborhood or even in winpro's own My Network Places or any Windows
98 Network Neighborhoods.  This seems very strange.

This is what I get when I try to mount with cifs
Per man mount.cifs - it is usually invoked as mount -t cifs

lba at kinda bin $ sudo mount -t cifs //winpro/lba  /mnt/winpro  -o
guest,uid=lba
[sudo] password for lba:
mount error 2 = No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Larry