[Samba] Problem joining XP SP2 Machines to the domain

Marshall Buschman mbuschman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:29:03 GMT 2008

Dale:

I'm continuing to investigate - ipconfig /all shows both WINS servers.
/var/cache/samba/wins.dat contains the xp machines.
I do have a local DNS server, and it does resolve typical addresses (
google.com) as expected.
My PDC and BDC have A and PTR records that resolve properly, but nothing
special other than that.

Nothing appears in the logs on either the PDC or BDC.

I've recently tried using the ForensiT User Profile Wizard, which tries to
join the domain as part of it's process.
It's interesting that using this tool, when auth fails, wireshark shows no
conversation between the XP box and the DC - it looks like the XP isn't even
trying to connect to the PDC.

I've seen similar results using wireshark and the normal domain joining
facilities.
I've attempted to disable the signorseal requirements, which have no effect.

The only effective solution is adding an entry to the lmhosts file, which is
undesirable.

-Marshall