[Samba] Strange behaviour of winbind on solaris 8

Dietrich Streifert dietrich.streifert at visionet.de
Tue Apr 29 11:15:53 GMT 2008

We have several installations where we use the two different AD schema
extensions (SFU from Windows Services for Unix and rfc2307bis from
Windows Server 2003R2) to put the needed information in.

We are using the idmap_ad module to map the uid, gid, home etc.
information from the AD.

The local users and the AD users are completely separated. We do not mix
up local users and AD users.

The first basic test if the AD user information retreival is working is
to use the getent command:

    getent <someADUser>

So for a test user account I get:

    korund{root}[/]: getent passwd testuser
    testuser:*:1004:1000:Lastname, Firstname:/home/testuser:/bin/tcsh

If this works the first step is done.

The second test is to get all related Information for one user:

korund{root}[/]: id -a testuser
uid=1004(testuser) gid=1000(visionet) groups=1033(devjavalib)

The third test is to su - testuser and again try to issue both commands
obove. If the retreived information is the same you should all be done
(except from pam.conf which is another story).