[Samba] Samba 3.2.0-pre3 packages in Debian - version of Samba in Debian lenny

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Mon Apr 28 17:11:45 GMT 2008

Quoting Gerald (Jerry) Carter (jerry at samba.org):

> Christian, I really disagree here.  What made you com to
> the decision that 3.0 is batter for a September Debian
> release?

Because the Debian release team asked maintainers to slow odwn
upstream version bumps as of March 2008. And one of the keys of "try
to release Debian on time" is avoiding to go against the release team
suggestions.

(for instance, the KDE packaging team decided to stick with KDE 3.4
for such reasons)

Debian entered the freeze stage for lenny on April 1st. Currenly, only
the base system packages are frozen, but the freeze should slowly become
stronger (the toolchain should come soon).

The current schedule for releasing samba 3.2.0 leaves us quite a chort
time before the planned release and, with the current manpower we have
in the Debian maintenance team, I don't feel comfortable going to
3.2.0 now.

That's a very though decision, indeed. I somewhat feel like Steve
Langasek will agree (actually he didn't disagree when I proposed this
in ou internal mailign list....while he may be too busy with the
Ubuntu release).

Of course, I'm ready to hear arguments against that decision...