[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Rick Johnson rrj0304 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 28 18:30:08 GMT 2008

Scott Lovenberg wrote:

>> Rick Johnson wrote:

>>> There is no Windows "client". The Maxtor shows up in "My Netowrk
>>> Places" and is mapped as just another drive from Windows; in my
>>> particular case, as the "Z" drive.

>>> Yes. The drive has been set up with different users since the beginning.

>>> Judging by what I see through the web interface, there must be SOME
>>> type of user info stored, but how or where I don't know and can't see.

>>> I think this is a possibility and I've been looking for more info;
>>> unfortunately without success so far.

>>> You're probably right. But since I've already got the drive I need to
>>> figure out a way to use it.
>>>
>>> Rick J.
>>>

>> Have you scanned for open ports?  These things usually have SSH or
>> telnet or some other maintenance port open with a known default
>> user/pass.
>
> After looking at www.openmss.org a bit, it seems that it keeps users in
> nvram.  Looks like you can update the firmware via the web interface,
> and that will give you an SSHD to log in to.  That might be either the
> best way to go about this, or the fastest way to brick the appliance. :)

(The 65532 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE SERVICE
80/tcp   open  http
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds
4301/tcp open  unknown
MAC Address: 00:10:75:00:FD:91 (Maxtor)

Well, it's about as useful to me as a brick right now, so maybe I've got
nothing to lose! ;-)

Seriously though, I don't know SSHD so what does that mean exactly? All
I know is that SSH is a sort of secure telnet, but I've never used it much.

Best Regards,

Rick J.