[Samba] Strange behaviour of winbind on solaris 8

Oliver Weinmann oliver.weinmann at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:58:57 GMT 2008

Dear All,

I came across a really strange behaviour when using winbind on solaris 8.
Normally "nscd" should be turned off because it's causing problems in the
username resolution etc. When I turn it off I can login e.g. using ssh as an
AD users but when i start a command like "ls" it gets put in the background
immediately? When "nscd" is turn on and login again I can issue commands
with no problems, but doing an ls -alrt on a directory gets stuck if a file
is owned by user that is not a AD user.

my /etc/nsswitch.conf

#
# /etc/nsswitch.dns:
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it uses
# DNS for hosts lookups, otherwise it does not use any other naming service.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet" transports.

passwd: files [NOTFOUND=CONTINUE]       winbind [NOTFOUND=return]
group:  files [NOTFOUND=CONTINUE]       winbind [NOTFOUND=return]

# You must also set up the /etc/resolv.conf file for DNS name
# server lookup.  See resolv.conf(4).
hosts:      files dns
ipnodes:    files
# Uncomment the following line and comment out the above to resolve
# both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from the ipnodes databases. Note that
# IPv4 addresses are searched in all of the ipnodes databases before
# searching the hosts databases. Before turning this option on, consult
# the Network Administration Guide for more details on using IPv6.
#ipnodes:   files dns

networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
bootparams: files
publickey:  files
# At present there isn't a 'files' backend for netgroup;  the system will
#   figure it out pretty quickly, and won't use netgroups at all.
netgroup:   files
automount:  files
aliases:    files
services:   files