[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 05:09:37 GMT 2008

Rick Johnson wrote:
> Scott Lovenberg wrote:
>> Rick Johnson wrote:

>>> There is no Windows "client". The Maxtor shows up in "My Netowrk
>>> Places" and is mapped as just another drive from Windows; in my
>>> particular case, as the "Z" drive.

>>> Yes. The drive has been set up with different users since the
>>> beginning.

>>> Judging by what I see through the web interface, there must be SOME
>>> type of user info stored, but how or where I don't know and can't see.

>>> I think this is a possibility and I've been looking for more info;
>>> unfortunately without success so far.

>>> You're probably right. But since I've already got the drive I need
>>> to figure out a way to use it.
>>>
>>> Rick J.
>>>

>> Have you scanned for open ports?  These things usually have SSH or
>> telnet or some other maintenance port open with a known default
>> user/pass.
>>

> I have tried telnet and ssh directly, but I haven't scanned for open
> ports. How do I do that?
>
> Rick J.
Use NMap with NMapFE (nmap frontend) on Linux, or something like YAPS
(yet another port scanner) on Windows.  Any crappy port scanner will do,
you don't need anything like stealth scanning (I hope!).  Which ever one
you use, do a service scan, or scan the first 1024 ports.  You could try
something fancier like a SYN or XMAS scan if it's a BSD based appliance.

Also, does it have a USB port or any other interface?  Like anything
else, it's just about getting your foot in the door, after that, you
just need a bit of leverage. ;)  The thing is, most of these boxes have
to have a way for the upstream vendor to upgrade the firmware, which is
usually just an IMG of the compressed OS, so they're usually not
completely locked down.