[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Rick Johnson rrj0304 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 27 18:54:52 GMT 2008

Toby Bluhm wrote:
> Rick Johnson wrote:
>
>> Adam Williams wrote:
>>
>>> what are the settings on the share you're trying to mount?  does it
>>> have something like valid users = rickj
>>>

>> Well, that is hard to determine. If you're asking whether the drive
>> has something like an "smb.conf" file containing share settings the
>> answer is no. The only access I have to the Maxtor drive is via a
>> browser interface. I have used the menu in that to set all files for
>> full public access, but beyond that I have no finer control. (I have
>

> So in public mode, it's probably going to throw all user info away and
> map everything to a universal id. Have you looked closely at the file
> perm/ownership from the Windows client? Saved files as joe user & then
> jane user - does it keep the distinction? I'll venture no.

There is no Windows "client". The Maxtor shows up in "My Netowrk Places"
and is mapped as just another drive from Windows; in my particular case,
as the "Z" drive.

> If it's possible, have you tried setting up individual users through the
> nas interface?

Yes. The drive has been set up with different users since the beginning.

> Could also just work with the fact that no perm/owner info will be kept.
> Collect that info & store it to a file. A recursive getfacl to collect &
> setfacl to restore could do the trick.

Judging by what I see through the web interface, there must be SOME type
of user info stored, but how or where I don't know and can't see.

>> found via www.openmss.org that the underlying filesystem of the drive
>> is Linux - reiser I think - but beyond that I have no data on the
>> filesystem other than what I see when I smbmount the drive.)
>>
> Perhaps there's a way to break into the Linux the nas is running &
> change stuff to your suiting.

I think this is a possibility and I've been looking for more info;
unfortunately without success so far.

> I've heard many times of people with an appliance trying to do something
> beyond its intended function & hitting a brick wall. Your situation is
> why I never recommend an appliance to anyone other than a pure,
> non-hacker, non-power type Windows user. A NAS type distro or even a
> full distro on a junker PC would be a better solution. More work, but
> better results.

You're probably right. But since I've already got the drive I need to
figure out a way to use it.

Rick J.