[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Rick Johnson rrj0304 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 10:35:33 GMT 2008

Adam Williams wrote:
> what are the settings on the share you're trying to mount?  does it have
> something like valid users = rickj

Well, that is hard to determine. If you're asking whether the drive has
something like an "smb.conf" file containing share settings the answer
is no. The only access I have to the Maxtor drive is via a browser
interface. I have used the menu in that to set all files for full public
access, but beyond that I have no finer control. (I have found via
www.openmss.org that the underlying filesystem of the drive is Linux -
reiser I think - but beyond that I have no data on the filesystem other
than what I see when I smbmount the drive.)

> your user ID's in /etc/passwd on your local computer and the NAS
> appliance may be different which is why the ls -l looks strange.

This is probably true because the drive was set up through the browser
interface.

(I HAVE wondered whether creating a user on my Linux system with the
same uid and gid as I see on the mounted share might work.)

FWIW, I find that I CAN (as root) chmod the files on the drive after it
is mounted (and the privileges are remembered after a umount and
remount), but the behavior is strange. Some examples follow:

chmod 777 changes -rwxrw-rw to -rwxr--r--

chmod 700 changes -rwxr--r-- to -rwx------

chmod 777 changes -rwx------ to -rwxr--r--

This, unfortunately, leaves me with no way that I know of to change the
file permissions back to what they were originally. (I've tried
resetting them via the browser interface AND from a Windows system where
  I have the Maxtor mapped as a drive with no luck.)

Is there perhaps some sort of bitmask at work behind the scenes here?

Best Regards,

Rick J.