[Samba] Problem joining XP SP2 Machines to the domain

Marshall Buschman mbuschman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:56:55 GMT 2008

Dale:

Correct. I've implemented this option on all of the relevant subnets.
I'm doing something like this:
option                          netbios-name-servers 1.2.3.4, 1.3.3.7;

Where 1.2.3.4 is the old windows 2000 DC that we're migrating away from, and
1.3.3.7 is the samba PDC.

I tested this, and found it to work appropriately under Windows 2000
clients, but not Windows XP clients.

I've even statically assigned an XP client an IP and WINS server, and it
still does not work consistently.

I still get the following error most of the time:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "FOO":
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Windows 2000 clients function perfectly.

Any ideas? Especially why only the XP clients have an issue?

-Marshall