[Samba] Re: using samba as nfs server replacement?

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Apr 24 09:22:00 GMT 2008

Hallo, Michael,

Du (michaelh) meintest am 24.04.08:

>> You may set the SUID flag for "mount,cifs" and "umount.cifs" on the
>> server.

> That could be a security hazard.

One mistake (from me): these flags must be set on the client. The client
tries to mount, and it uses its local "mount.cifs".

> If we assume that cifs unix
> extensions can be made to work, I could bring in my laptop which
> contains a SUID root binary and mount it to my workstation.

But (regarding my error correction): ypu always can set the SUID flag on
your laptop's "mount.cifs"!

The server has to decide wether it will accept the mount try.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut