[Samba] Problem joining XP SP2 Machines to the domain

Marshall Buschman mbuschman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 00:05:38 GMT 2008

Hey All:

I've got a working samba/ldap domain with a PDC in a datacenter and a BDC in
my local office.

I'm not able to reliably join a windows XP Pro machine to the domain by
specifying the PDC as a wins server.

I get the following error 90% of the time or more, with no discernible
patterns or errors in any logs:
---------------------------------
The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "FOO":
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
---------------------------------

Windows 2000 machines join the domain 100% of the time.

Adding a line to the lmhosts file like this:
1.2.3.4       foopdc     #PRE #DOM:FOO #net group's DC
Causes the XP machine to be able to join the domain 100% of the time.

I have many clients, and adding this file to the lmhosts file everywhere
isn't feasible.

The real question is - why doesn't WINS work?
I can run net view and see all the machines..

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can provide.

-Marshall