[Samba] 3.0.28a winbind fails to resolve sid-to-gid for local groups

Mike Brady mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Wed Apr 23 22:49:52 GMT 2008

3.0.28a winbind fails to resolve sid-to-gid for local groups.

This appears to be the root cause of the problems that I reported in

wbinfo -G for any local group works.
wbinfo -s for any local group fails.

This is occurring on Centos 5.1 x86_64 using Samba 2.0.28a RPMs built
from a Fedora 7 source RPM.

The same OS with the Centos supplied Samba 3.0.25b packages does not
have this problem when using the exact same configuration file (except
for the workgroup name) and usrmgr works.  But, 3.0.25b has other
problems which is why I was trying the latest release.

I am happy to do further tests and provide logs if someone tells me what
they need.

In the meantime I will be trying some of the releases in between these
two to see if there is one that works for me.

Thanks

Mike