[Samba] Samba PDC, joining XP workstation 'network path was not found'

brad davison gh0t1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 19:13:31 GMT 2008

I have followed the samba-wiki article on 'Replicated Failover Domain Controller and file server using LDAP'

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Replicated_Failover_Domain_Controller_and_file_server_using_LDAP

I am using FreeBSD instead of RHEL.  I was able to get through the tutorial and get the database populated, and users created.

I created the workstation account with the smbldap-useradd -w {machinename}.

When going to the XP machine to add it to the domain, I put in the 'DDESIGN' domain, and it puts up the authentication dialog.  No matter what I put in that box, I get 'The network path was not found'.  If I put in the domain as something 'wrong' it of course doesn't put up an authentication dialog.  So I know the domain is alive and on the network.

I recall, when setting up a PDC with ubuntu server I ran into this 'network path was not found' error, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.

Any ideas?