[Samba] Can't kill smbd process

James A. Dinkel jdinkel at bucoks.com
Mon Apr 21 15:42:45 GMT 2008

TCP_NODELAY is still usefull and has a noticeable improvement in
responsiveness.  SO_RCVBUF=8192 and SO_SNDBUF=8192 are outdated and
actually make things worse if running with a 2.6 kernel (they do help if
running on a 2.4 kernel).  But I too, am sure changing these will not
fix your problem (but probably will improve network performance).

How are you killing the open files?  With "kill -9"?  I kill locked,
open files by finding the pid with lsof and then close it with "sudo
kill -9 pidnumber".  I've never had kill -9 fail me and I imagine you
would have to have serious kernel problems if kill -9 failed to kill a
pid.3

James

-----Original