[Samba] Can't kill smbd process

Mathieu Beaudoin mbeaudoin at cvtcorp.com
Fri Apr 18 20:51:37 GMT 2008

Hi,

Since this week my Samba keep accumulating smbd process that keep lock on
files and neither me as root or samba itself can't kill. The only way to
release the locked files is to reboot the machine and this is really
annoying for all the clients. I read in a forum that this might be link with
a kernel corruption, but this threads hasn't been active in a long time and
wasn't so clear about the corruption. So I turn on your experiences and
knowledge to help me find a solution to this problem.

I run Samba 3.0.26a-3.5 on Opensuse 10.3 with the 2.6.22.17-0.1-default.

I don't thing the problem come from my smb.conf, the deadtime is set to 10
minutes but since those process keep a lock on files they are not kill after
10 minutes of inactivity.

[global]

      workgroup = Bidon

      server string = PDC - File Server

      log file = /log/samba.log

      server signing = auto

      deadtime = 10

      printcap name = cups

      add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody
-s /bin/false %m$

      logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile

      logon drive = P:

      logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile