[Samba] Samba and Vista profile probs

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri Apr 18 15:22:45 GMT 2008

Collen Blijenberg ha scritto:
> Hi all, I've got some problems with vista sp1 + samba 3.0.28a
>
> vista will not save the profiles nor load them. !
> I'm all familiar with the .V2 thing.
> vista however does create the "profilename.V2" directory, but does not
> populate it with the data

Hi. I'm having the same problem and I reported it to the list a while
ago, but the only answers I got were like "it works for us, it should
for you". (N.B. this is no flame).
I though I was having some specific situation, since I was the only one
who seemed to experience this; perhaps we could compare our setups and
hope we can find something common which might be relevant.

> Xp machines work like a charm however.
> profiles path's are: \\<server>\profiles\testuser

I have \\PDC\username as home dir and \\PDF\username\profile[.V2] there.

> so the problem with the .V2 part is not share related, coz they are a
> dir in a share.

Same here. Vista creates the profile.v2 directory and permissions seem fine.

> we do get logged in with a temp profile. so authentication works (little
> slow do...)

Auhtentication is not an issue here, since the user can access every
share he should.

> do i need to alter the vista policy's or something ??

I tried every trick Google and the samba mailing lists could provide,
but still no luck.

I have:
_ FreeBSD 6.2/i386 + samba 3.0.28,1 PDC;
_ FreeBSD 6.3/amd64 + samba 3.0.28,1 BDC;
_ replicated OpenLDAP backend;
_ profiles in home dirs on PDC;
_ more than 30 2000/XP professional machines running perfectly;
_ 1 Vista Business laptop which refuse to roam profiles.

Here's my PDC's smb.conf:
[global]
         debug level = 1
         passwd program=/usr/bin/passwd %u
         unix password sync=false
         workgroup = XXXXXXXX
         server string = xxxxx
         hosts allow = 192.168.xxx. 127.
         load printers = no
         max log size = 5000
         security = user
         encrypt passwords = yes
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
         interfaces = fxp0 192.168.xxx.1/24
         local master = yes
         os level = 255
         domain master = yes
         preferred master = yes
         domain logons = yes
         logon script=netlogon.cmd
         wins support = yes
         wins proxy = yes
         dns proxy = yes
         ldap admin dn="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
         ldap ssl=off
         ldap suffix=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         passdb backend=ldapsam_compat
         host msdfs = no