[Samba] how to make 'winbind nss info = sfu' work in v >= 3.0.26a

Jonathan Detert Jonathan.Detert at msoe.edu
Tue Apr 15 20:40:53 GMT 2008

There is an instance of Ms.Active Directory that has had the 'Services
For Unix' applied.

I use winbind v3.0.24 to get user/group info from that Ms.Active directory
instance like so:
-------- begin smb.conf snippet: ------------
security = ADS
realm = mydomain.com
workgroup = MYDOMAIN

winbind enum groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind nss info = sfu
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = yes

idmap gid = 500-45000
idmap uid = 500-45000
idmap backend = ad
-------- end   smb.conf snippet: ------------

that works fine on ubuntu v7.04.

The same config, shown above, does not work under winbind v3.0.26a
running on ubuntu v7.10.  I can turn an name into a sid, and the sid
back into a name (via wbinfo -n and -s, respectively), but I can't turn
a sid into a unix uid or gid (via the -S argument).  Also, 'getent passwd'
doesn't return any users from Active Directory.

Any idea what's wrong?  Is it my config?
--
Jon Detert
IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering