[Samba] Domain Member using winbind and local Unix accounts

Paul Crabb thewogg at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 15:24:37 GMT 2008

Greetings,

I'd like to set up samba to use group and user credentials from our windows domain in mixed mode.  I want to be able to give windows users rights to samba file shares without having to set them up with a Unix account locally.  If a user does have  a local Unix account I'd like to be able to use the local account for permissions.

Is this possible with winbind?

I've set up a test server.  I've been able to join the windows domain.  I receive proper responses from wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g.  I receive proper responses from getent passwd <username>.  I am able to create shares using domain groups as the valid users list and I am able to see those shares.  I am unable to map to my local home directory or any other share I create when I use a local account in the valid users list.

getent passwd <username> for my account returns information with my local home directory.  When I look at the samba log file it shows that access is denied when I try to map the home directory share because it's using the winbind information instead of the local passwd file information.

I'm trying to do this all with the latest Solaris 10 with Sun's precompiled samba.

Regards,
PC