[Samba] check password script

Ryan Steele rsteele at archer-group.com
Tue Apr 15 16:38:52 GMT 2008

Hey folks,

My 'check password script' seems to work well, but I have a question
about the messages returned to the user.  Currently, it prints an
extremely verbose message, a-la:

"The password supplied does not meet the minimum complexity
requirements. Please select another password that meets all of the
following criteria: is at least 8 characters; has not been used in the
previous 5 passwords; must not have been changed within the past 40
days; does not contain your account or full name; contains at least
three of the following four character groups: English uppercase
characters (A through Z); English lowercase characters (a through z);
Numerals (0 through 9); Non-alphabetic characters (such as !, $, #,
%). Type a password which meets these requirements in both text
boxes."

The verbosity is a good thing.  The formatting, however, strikes fear in
the hearts of the non-technical users.  Is is possible to customize the
message that the users see, if only to format it in a more readable way?

Thanks!

Ryan