[Samba] Username case mangling -- Linux username is mixed-case, Samba returns lower-case

Steve Briggs zzybaloobah at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 21:49:06 GMT 2008

--- Steve Briggs <zzybaloobah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:56:45AM -0700, Steve Briggs wrote:
> > > I have a problem that I first observed when I upgraded from
> > > 3.0.24 to 3.0.28 and is, I believe, related to the introduction
> > > of the "printjob username" configuration parameter.
> > >
> > > I print via CUPS and the Cups-PDF driver wants to know the
> > > Linux username (so it can put the PDF in the proper location).
> > >
> > > The problem is that "printjob username = %U" results in
> > > a lowercase username ("steve"), even though the Linux account
> > > is "Steve".  The Samba logs clearly show me authenticating
> > > as "Steve" and the last message I see (with logging at 20)
> > > with an obvious user name shows me connecting to the
> > > Cups-PDF printer share with username "Steve".  But, the
> > > Cups logs show a username of "steve" -- which ends up mapped
> > > to anonymous.
> >
> > I think you want to use '%u', not '%U'. From the man page :
> >
> >        %U
> >           session username (the username that the client wanted, not necessarily the same  as
> > the  one
> >           they got).
> >
> > this is the incoming Windows username. %u is :
> >
> >        %u
> >           username of the current service, if any.
> >
> > which is a UNIX username.
> >
> > Jeremy.
> >
> Well, as I tried to explain in my original posting,
> I tried "%u", but (at least for the printjob username
> parameter) "%u" didn't get mapped to *anything*
> ... it just went through as "%u".    I noted in
> the documentation that not every substitution
> necessarily works in all cases; this seems like
> a case where only(?) "%U" gets mapped.
>
> I can try "%u" again, I assumed it should work
> and was surprised when it didn't....
>
> Thanks for the suggestion...
>
> Steve

I tried "%u" again... it just gets mapped to "%u".
Similarly, %$USER, %$(USER), %($USER) are all taken
literally.  In each case, the "printjob username"
parameter doesn't recognize it as a variable requiring
substitution at all....

Any other ideas, or is samba just broken here and
I need to make extra usernames with lower case?
....sigh

TIA,
Steve