[Samba] Samba keeps resetting smbpasswd permissions

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 11 20:28:18 GMT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:28:27PM +0200, Martin v. Wittich wrote:

> With the current configuration, there's unfortunately just no simple way
> to use the smbpasswd file as a back-end for other applications; in the
> case of FreeRADIUS I have to use smbpasswd because the MSCHAPv2 protocol
> that is used for authentication is incompatible to the /etc/passwd hashes.
> Having to recompile Samba would also be an unfortunate solution because
> we would have to deploy Samba as a custom package to >300 servers -
> forcing us to maintain the package for every security update that is yet
> to come.

smbpasswd is a Samba private file. We've (in the past) changed the
format (although we don't tend to use it much now we have tdb and
LDAP backends). Can't you use ntlm_auth to do the authentication,
and go via Samba smbd itself ? That would be the most portable and
forward supported method of doing things ?

Jeremy.