[Samba] Help: justification for Linux PDC vs Windows...

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Apr 11 16:10:54 GMT 2008

Greg J. Zartman, P.E.

> Fact is, most of us don't have farms of domain controllers and hundreds
and hundreds of users.  Most of us manage small to medium sized networks
that can benefit hugely by the cost savings of deploying Samba instead
of Windows.  I'm not talking about just costs of software licenses; but
cost of hardware, sys admin staff, and down time.

Yup.  For small-ish networks, nt4 servers are 'good enough'.

Last I checked, MS imposes an artificial limit on its servers, where a
server can only serve its own subnet.  Samba doesn't have this limit.  So
a single multi-homed samba server can do the work of several MS servers.

So you don't need AD with samba as much since everything is on one server
anyway whereas with MS you need multiple servers and all the management
overhead that entails.

I could be wrong on this; it was true the last time I ripped out a bunch
of MS servers and replaced them with samba.  This was some time ago....
Anyone know if it's still a limitation?

--
Windows is like a canary in a coal mine, it's the first thing to die on
your network.