[Samba] write list vs read list

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Fri Apr 11 13:48:56 GMT 2008

On Thursday 10 April 2008 Luca Ferrari's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:

> Uhm..I've checked the file permissions, and since they are 777 I guess this
> is not the problem. Moreover, since I've got a NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED I
> think that it is something that prevents users to access the share at all.
> Any suggestion?

It is strange, this is the definition of the share:

[LABORATORIO_SMB]
        comment           = Cartella privata Laboratorio
        path              = /mnt/samba/lab_smb
        browsable         = yes
        available         = yes
        valid users       = @laboratorio @estero luca.ferrari
        write list        = @laboratorio
        read list         = @estero luca.ferrari
        writable          = yes
        printable         = no
        force group       = laboratorio

where I've added myself to the valid and read list. Then I forced a reload of
the configuration:

root at sede:~# /etc/init.d/samba reload
 * Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf...

but if I check the configuration with testparm I got:

[LABORATORIO_SMB]
        comment = Cartella Laboratorio Sassuolo
        path = /mnt/samba/laboratorio_smb
        valid users = @laboratorio
        read list = @estero, luca.ferrari
        write list = @laboratorio
        force group = laboratorio
        read only = No

as you can see the luca.ferrari user is not added to the valid users list!
This could be the problem that such user always gets a
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED???
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Luca