[Samba] Samba keeps resetting smbpasswd permissions

Martin v. Wittich martin.von.wittich at iserv.eu
Fri Apr 11 09:58:12 GMT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to use the smbpasswd file from Samba as the password backend
for FreeRADIUS. I already managed to get FreeRADIUS to work, but Samba
keeps resetting the smbpasswd permissions to:

iserv samba # ll /etc/samba/smbpasswd
-rw------- 1 root root 4.9K 2008-04-11 10:26 /etc/samba/smbpasswd

The permissions have to look like this so FreeRADIUS can access it:

# chgrp freerad /etc/samba/smbpasswd
# chmod g+r /etc/samba/smbpasswd
iserv samba # ll smbpasswd
-rw-r----- 1 root freerad 4.9K 2008-04-11 10:26 smbpasswd

Is there a way to stop Samba from modifying the smbpasswd permissions? I
already googled and looked through the Samba manpages, but I can't
really find a solution.

Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (etch)
Samba version: current etch package, 3.0.24-6etch9

Martin v. Wittich