[Samba] Help: justification for Linux PDC vs Windows...

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Wed Apr 9 21:04:16 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 13:40 -0700, JJB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My IT department has implemented a samba PDC and now we are taking flack
> for it. Can anyone help me out with some good justifications for doing
> it this way vs the Microsoft way? Have a meeting about it in a short
> while...
>
> We wanted to do it because Linux is more secure and more stable. But
> there may be other good reasons and it would be good to know them. Or
> maybe it would be better to go with the Microsoft solutions?

This is almost a troll question. what is better, beer or whine ...

But let's try anyway:

* samba is faster (ie. network performance)

* samba deals better with load (scalability)

* samba provides an additional security level by having linux accounts
  in place

* samba is open source = support for any version of will will continue
  as long as _you_ resp. your company are willing to support it

* beware that samba PDC == winnt PDC, no ADS PDC yet

* samba let's you control/configure much more things you could ever
  configure in a windows PDC

* all components of a samba PDC are well documented (like openldap etc.)

* samba is - of course - muchmuch cheaper due to the lack of license
  costs

just some initial thoughts ...

For more technical information check the samba HP and/or one of the many
comparisons you will find on the net.

--
Udo Rader

bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH