[Samba] Help: justification for Linux PDC vs Windows...

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 21:01:26 GMT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM, JJB <onephatcat at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  My IT department has implemented a samba PDC and now we are taking flack
> for it. Can anyone help me out with some good justifications for doing it
> this way vs the Microsoft way? Have a meeting about it in a short while...
>
>  We wanted to do it because Linux is more secure and more stable. But there
> may be other good reasons and it would be good to know them. Or maybe it
> would be better to go with the Microsoft solutions?

I do not have much time but here are a few off the top of my head.

1) Linux is much easier to move the PDC from one machine to a
completely different / new box by just mirroring the hard drive of the
old.

2) You never ever have to reboot the linux server (well unless you add
new hardware) so its uptime tends to be better than a windows PDC.

John