[Samba] problems setting a public share

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Apr 9 07:49:51 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 9 April 2008 your cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> you will need to show us your entire config, not just the share
>
> do you have a map to guest line? does your guest user exist?

[global]
netbios name      = SEDELDAP
workgroup = LDAP
security = user
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
obey pam restrictions = no
ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=MyHost,dc=com
ldap suffix = dc=MyHost,dc=com
ldap group suffix = ou=Group
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
ldap ssl = off
domain logons = yes
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes
unix extensions = no
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = guest.samba

[PUB_SMB]
        comment           = Cartella pubblica (Mac e PC) - Non viene fatto il
backup
        path              = /mnt/samba/pub_smb
        browsable         = yes
        available         = yes
        writable          = yes
        printable         = no
        force group       = pub
        public              = yes
	guest ok          = yes

Please note that the user guest.samba belongs to the pub group, the
permissions are right:

# id guest.samba
uid=1035(guest.samba) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=513(Domain Users),1002
(sassuolo),1050(pub)
# ls -ld /mnt/samba/pub_smb/
drwxrwxrwx 114 guest.samba pub 4096 2008-04-08 21:50 /mnt/samba/pub_smb/

However, if I try to log in specifying the guest.samba account, then I
succeed, but if I try to login without specifying a username, then I got a
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

smbclient //sedeldap/pub_smb
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
Password:
Domain=[LDAP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

and if I try to login as guest.samba (or another registered user) I got access
to the share.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Luca