[Samba] Winbind ignores idmap configuration (3.0.28a)

Naadir Jeewa naadir at randomvariable.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 17:36:49 GMT 2008

Hullo,

After having my Samba server joined to a domain, I'm now having
difficulties configuring winbind. I want to use the idmap_rid backend,
and have recompiled Samba from scratch with the requisite rid.so module.

However, no matter how "idmap domains / idmap config" is set up, it
seems to get totally ignored. Here is my smb.conf:

[global]

workgroup = DEPARTMENTDOMAIN

server string = NAS Samba Server Version %v

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50

security = ads
realm = DEPARTMENTDOMAIN
use kerberos keytab = true

load printers = no
local master = yes

smb ports = 445
disable netbios = yes

idmap domains = ORGUSERDOMAIN

# Winbind RID
idmap config ORGUSERDOMAIN: backend = rid
idmap config ORGUSERDOMAIN: base_rid = 1000
idmap config ORGUSERDOMAIN: range = 10000-20000

Here is output from winbind:

[ 7677]: lookupsid bleh
get_cache: Setting MS-RPC methods for domain ORGUSERDOMAIN
rpc: query_user sid=bleh
error getting user info for sid bleh
query_user returned an error
Could not query domain ORGUSERDOMAIN SID bleh

Thanks in advance,

Naadir Jeewa