[Samba] samba3.0.22 - "net setlocalsid" with no effect

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Wed Apr 2 19:06:53 GMT 2008

Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
| Hi Doug, *,
|
| Sorry for my late answer - I discovered your mail, which never reached
| my box, on gmane..
|
| Douglas VanLeuven schrieb:
|> Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
|
| [..]
|
|> I can't tell what you're trying to do from what you've described.
|> It looks like you set the local machine sid and it worked.
|
| It was the SID of the machine acting as PDC ..
|
|> The local machine sid will be different than the domain sid.
|
| That's aparently the one problem I have (which is solving a different
| one..) :o))
|
|> A profile based on the local machine sid won't be a roaming profile it
|> will be a local profile.
|
| As long as the local SID differs from the Domain SID?..
|

|> [..]
|
|>> root# net setlocalsid SID_WANTED
|>> root#
|
|>> root# net getlocalsid
|>> SID for domain DOMAIN is: SID_WANTED

Might try
~   net rpc getsid
Which is supposed to "fetch the domain sid into the local secrets.tdb"

I've never used these commands.  I've always viewed them as either
useful for recovery from crash without backup, or setting the SID of a
backup samba PDC.  For a workstation, even if you manage to get the
SID's to agree with a prior install, the machine password on the PDC and
on the workstation wouldn't agree.  If it's new workstation name, there
won't be an account for the workstation on the PDC.

Why not simply
~  net rpc join

and allow the normal mechanisms to work?

Regards, Doug