[Samba] Standalone server providing authenticated services to AD clients?

Mark Drummond md2600 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:55:21 GMT 2008

I'm trying to set up Samba on an older Solaris 9 box using the bundled
Samba. I don't want to have to build Samba from scratch. All I need to
be able to do is provide authenticate file share access to clients
that are in our AD domain.

E.g., my laptop is an AD domain client, I am logged in as myself,
AD-DOM\myusername. Samba is running on the server with user level
security. myusername exists in /etc/passwd and has been added
smbpasswd. The same password is being used in AD, /etc/passwd and
/etc/sfw/private/smbpasswd. But when I try to connect to
\\MYSUNSERVER\myusername, "it" is trying to connect me as
"MYSUNSERVER\Guest" rather than "myusername".

I'm sure this is just my lack of understanding, but if someone could
set me straight, that would be appreciated.

[global]
        workgroup = AD-DOM
        security = user

[homes]
        comment = User Home Directories
        valid users = %s
        read only = no
        browseable = no

--
Georgia: Why am I not doing what they're doing?
Rube: Because you're doing what you're doing. When it's time for you

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.