[Samba] wbinfo -u fails on RHEL5

herman herman at aeronetworks.ca
Sun Sep 30 19:19:05 GMT 2007

Hi guys,

Pulling my hair out...

Version: RHEL5 straight off the CDs, no patches.
Active Directory: Win2003 with SP2

I'm experiencing confusing problems when logging onto an Active
Directory system.  I have gotten it to work perfectly, but after a few
days/weeks it screws up for no apparent reason.  Windows XP clients
still work perfectly.  Linux clients show signature and packet errors,
'wbinfo -u' is unable to retrieve user information and login fails.

I have installed everything from scratch on a test machine on Friday and
it fails right off the bat with the same errors as the systems that
worked before.  I am now installing the whole kettle of fish on VMware
so I can experiment better.

Has anyone seen this and know where I should start digging?

Cheers,

Herman