[Samba] smbldap-useradd problem

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:17:12 GMT 2007

Dear list,

Arghl! (I'm sure you know the feeling).
I'm still hooked on Samba by example, and trying to add users to my ldap tree.

$ smbldap-useradd -m -a ldaptest2
Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at
/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 197

The documentation of the smbldap scripts mentions this sort of error
(albeit with a different line number). Two possible problems are
proposed:
1. the default group defined in smbldap.conf does not exist (the one
with defaultUserGid 513)
2. the NT "Domain Users" group is not mapped to a unix group of rid 513

=> I checked both. The group exists, it's called "Domain Users", I can
chgrp a file on the samba/ldap system to 513 and ls -l shows it's
owned by Domain Users.

=> $ net groupmap list
shows thet "Domain Users" is linked to a group called "Domain Users"
(which makes sense).

If I leave the option -a of smbldap-useradd, the command completes
with no error but off course my new user isn't a Windows user then
(pretty useless). So it's not an LDAP permissions issue since the
object /is/ created. (Why can't this script be a bit more verbose?)

--
Frank Van Damme   A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
                  Q: Why is it bad?