[Samba] Samba vs Microsoft Logon Protocols

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:15:18 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 10:01 -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
> If my "mapping" of the notes in the smb.conf man page to the Microsoft
> jargon is incorrect, then could someone please provide me with a correct
> one?  In particular, I am most curious to know if I am right about NT1
> being the same thing as NTLMv1.  If it is, then what is NTLMv2?

Did you look in source/smbd/negprot.c as indicated by the documentation?

> >>     I am trying to figure out how the different values for "max
> >> protocol" and "min protocol" (as seen in the smb.conf man page under the
> >> "max protocol" section) correlate to the Microsoft jargon for the

NT1:  Current up to date version of the protocol.

I think you are confusing authentication mechanisms and protocol levels.
NTLMv2 is an authentication mechanism, as are NTLMv1, LANMAN, and plain
text.  These aren't protocol levels; or in some cases an authentication
method and a protocol level share the same name.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com