[Samba] Samba Domain and Vista Profiles

Server Gremlin servergremlin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:19:13 GMT 2007

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
> I've googled around, but I couldn't find anything really like my problem.
> I've got a newtwork with a Samba PDC and BDC (both running 3.0.25 on
> FreeBSD with ldapsam_compat backend). Everything works fine with
> Windows 2000/XP with roaming profiles in //PDC/user/profile (it even
> worked with 98 back when there was a few), but now I had to add a
> Vista Business laptop. This joined the domain with no real troubles,
> but it won't upload the user profile.
> It creates //PDC/user/profile.V2 belonging to user and with 700
> permissions, but never writes anything into this folder.
> I tried playing with the registry, changing folder permissions,
> deleting this folder (and let Windows recreate it or doing that
> manually), adding a symlink to //PDC/user/profile and following a
> couple of other suggestions I stumbled upon while googling, but came
> up to nothing.
> Can anyone help? Is there something specific I can lookup in the logs?
>
>  bye & Thanks
>     av.
I think I have one bit of advice that might at least help clear up some
confusion.

"...adding a symlink to //PDC/user/profile..."

I wouldn't do that.  =)  From what I understand, Vista profiles are a
new animal.  They are going to be different profiles from XP.  So users
will have a separate XP profile (stored in "profile") and a brand new
and completely separate Vista profile (which is stored in
"profile.V2").  I suppose you could try using symlinks or folder
redirection or whatever as appropriate to try and make parts of each
identical, but it seems to me that the basic concept is that there will
be 2 separate profiles, one for each OS.

Also, I added a brand new Vista Business laptop to a Samba 3.0.22 domain
on Linux with no problems; things "just worked".  So at least you know
it's possible.  Try looking at "profile acls = yes" in the share
definition.  That might have something to do with it, though I bet
you're already using that for XP clients.  That's the only "weird"
setting I see in my smb.conf file.

Hope that helps at least a little bit,
- SG